Friday, September 11, 2015

9.11.15: Member Spotlight: Thomas Payne [aka "Tommy", alias: "20k"]

Meet your fellow tailgate member Tommy Payne.  Tommy got to Starkville in the Fall of 2007 and left in the Summer of 2012.


Tommy co-hosts The Backporch Podcast and in the latest episode they graciously asked me to be their guest to talk all things Kang's Landing.  It's a must listen on your way to Vegas this weekend. 

I had so much fun on their show this week.




A while back we asked Tommy a few questions as part of our Member Spotlight series.  Here it is:

"Why is Mississippi State special to you?

Mississippi State is special to me for a few reasons:
1. It's where I learned to love
2. It's where I learned to make love
3. It's where I became a man

What is special about Kang's Landing?
The people and the positive energy.

What is your strongest tooth of the 5 teeth?
The strongest of my 5 teeth is without a doubt building friendships. But I mean it as it relates to our group as a whole. Every single member of this tailgate builds friendships collectively through dance, hugs, hand shakes, heart breaks, triumphs and blackouts. Example; There was a female member (maybe a guest) of the tailgate last year. I did not know her name and I still don't, but what we experienced through Dance after the Texas A&M victory is something that belongs in a text book. Come September 12th, Dance....Oh how we will dance!

What is your weakest?
My weakest unfortunately is sharing the work load. I've had a tendency to let the booze take control of my body during some of our post game victories. While fun, sometimes it's immature and irresponsible. And It's definitely something I'm going to work on.

Do you believe that as a fanbase, we can will a team to victory?

I'll tell you the answer to that and the answer is yes. Two examples, one Kirby I'm going to start with you. Do you think it's any coincidence that we stepped over poor little Rice in Liberty Bowl 2013 when you were wearing the Spirit Mane? None whatsoever. I'm not sure how many times you had worn that beautiful piece of clothing before but the fact is it helped will us to victory. One other example; Egg Bowl 2007. I was sitting at the game with a friend of mine Matt Tyler. The game was hanging in the balance. Tyler couldn't handle the pressure of losing to Mississippi. So he says "Tommy I can't take it any more, I'm out of here," and he starts to walk down the stairs of the SAE section. I scream, "Tyler no! Release!" He caves and comes back. Moments later Derek Pegues runs a punt back 75 yards for an eventual Bulldog Victory. Matt Tyler and myself willed the Dogs to Victory that day...and then we danced.


I'll leave you with a quote:

"Who Run it"- Three Six Mafia."


Be sure to give Tommy a high five this weekend.  THANK YOU Tommy for graciously donating your time for the spotlight.

TEETH

HAIL STATE

No comments:

Post a Comment